amazon-podcast-launch

How to Get Your Podcast Artwork to Show Up on iTunes

itunes-podcast-imageEver since I started my podcast, one of the biggest problems and issues I had was getting this damn image artwork to show up on iTunes podcast or the iTunes site.

Seriously, it took months before I finally figured it out. Seemed like forever. There aren’t really any good, sound set of instructions on how to do this. So I made my own ;-)

Hopefully this video tutorial can find all those people that are having this same problem.

UPDATE: Please click here to read the new Step by Step Guide on How to Set Up a Podcast.

In this video I show you exactly how I did it.

(Click here to watch How to Get Podcast Image Artwork to Show Up on iTunes on YouTube)

As I mentioned in the video, there’s only one tool you’ll need and that’s the ID3 Editor, (not an affiliate). This is a paid tool. There are free ones out there but really aren’t worth the trouble. I tried several and just didn’t work for me.

There’s probably other ways to do it, but this is the way it was taught to me, it worked, so now I’m teaching it to you.

Below I’ll have a written step by step guide on how to do this.

Step 1: Paste Image Link in Feedburner

Your image has to be 600 x 600 1400 x 1400 px. This is the recommended size by iTunes.

UPDATE: The iTunes Image Artwork is now 1400 x 1400 px

Uploaded your image to where ever you host your files. You can uploaded right to your wordpress, (it’s what I do). Or you can use s3Amazon, Photobucket, or any place that will host it and provide you a link to the actual “Image”.

Once that’s done, you’ll go to your feedburner backoffice. Click on the Optimize tab. On the left side Click on SmartCast. To the left look for “Podcast image location” and paste the image link in that field. Scroll down and click save.

This should take care of the iTunes website part of it.

Step 2: Tagging Your Audio File

Now we’re going to tag your audio file with the image artwork. This will make the artwork show up in your iTunes directory, which is the part where most people have trouble with. This is what got me.

You’re going to need an ID3 Editor. This one works for both PC and Mac. I’m a Mac so my ID3 Editor may look different.

Quick note: You’ll do this part after you’ve finished editing and rendering your audio file and it’s basically ready to upload.

Open the ID3 Editor and find your audio file you want to add image artwork to.

Click on Pictures. You can either Drag your image artwork or click on Add and find your desired image artwork. Click on Update. And that’s it, you’re pretty much done here.

id3-editor

Find your audio file and make sure it’s tagged with the image artwork. If all looks good, then proceed to uploading it to where ever you host your audio files.

Remember that it will take a few days to a few weeks for iTunes to update it on their end.

So that’s it for me here. Hope you enjoyed it and found it helpful. And I especially hope that this tutorial finds all those that are having trouble with this because I know how frustrating it is. I tried for months to figure this out before I finally did.

Is there another way?

If there’s another way you know of how to do this, let us know by jotting it down in comments below. Thanks ;-)

19 Comments (click here to leave a comment)

1. Jake says:

Thanks for putting this video together. I have a couple of questions. I have already tagged my audio for my first podcast and uploaded it to my Libsyn account (where I host my mp3 files). I then went to iTunes to “submit” my podcast to iTunes. I noticed the iTunes info that pulled up when I presented my Feed URL (from feedburner) it did not have my image. So I took your advice to post the URL in the smartcast area of feedburner. My question is, if you forget to tag your file or you need to update the info in the tag – if you ‘re-tag’ or ‘tag’ you file and then re-upload your file – does this effect any subscribers that have previously subscribed to your feed? Do you have to change the name of your file in order to re-upload?

Also, there is a free ID tagging editor that works pretty good… MP3Tag at http://www.mp3tag.de it is in German but click on download and their editor is fairly simple and works.

Thanks again for the info!

• Joey K. says:

Great question Jake. You subscribers will have the old version of the podcast until they update it with your latest podcast.

So if you ever change the image you’re tagging with, just do it for the new mp3 file, and it will automatically update when your subscribers update it on their end.

You won’t have to update each and every file so that’s good.

On the iTunes side of it, it will update automatically whenever they crawl your feed, which in most cases it’s a few hours.

Hope this helps. And thanks for the share. Will definitely check it out and maybe even make a quick video tutorial on it.

2. Ivette says:

Hi Joey:
    I’m an (unemployed) graphic artist by trade, and was researching on the Internet when I ran across this most helpful video. As an iTunes user, I’ve noticed that there’s a lot of podcasts out there without an image(!!!). I agree with you 100%, without an image, the stuff ain’t gonna fly! Do you think I should contact the podcast owners individually and just openly solicity for graphic arts work? Thanks much! Ivette

• Joey K. says:

What I would do is create some sample ones to show them what you do, then contact them about it telling them why it would help them. Also create an account on Fiverr so you can get gigs there too. Hope this helps.

3. Jon says:

Thanks!

Good stuff- really helped steer me in the right direction. Quick question though- now the web image, and iTunes images are good, but the image isn’t showing up INSIDE iTunes after subscription. The images are embedded in the files properly as they show up in Preview, and on iOS devices/etc.

what’s up?

• Joey K. says:

Thanks brotha. For that part of the image to show, you have to tag the actual audio file. I explain it in the next step after the video here on this page. Hope this helps. Let me know if it did or didn’t.

4. Isaac says:

Hi – I’ve only used Smartcase image link and never the ID3 editor for almost two years, but for some reason, everything still looked fine UNTIL the recent iTunes software update (v.11). Now my image is not showing up in the directory, so a search brought me to this blog. Question – what’s the difference between embedding the image into the mp3′s metadata via iTunes (select mp3 > get info > Album artwork) and using this ID3 editor? Would either way suffice? Thanks

• Joey K. says:

The difference is that via ID3 is the only way I know how to do it. When I first learned how to do this the only information out there was to do it via ID3.

5. Vicky says:

Joey, My husband and I have been on the internet for 5 years now, and decided to make this year a learning year. As soon as we said we need help you came in to are lives. thank you for your kind help, and we love your voice.

• Joey K. says:

Thank you Vicky for the kind words. I’m so glad I could be there when you needed most. If there’s anything I can do please let me know. Thanks ;-)

6. Jay says:

Joey K. – Hey brother, good video but there have been some recent updates (some you caught) that are changing things.

First, Feedburner is going away. You may want to investigate Blubrry (I use that plugin on my podcast). There’s no need to have a Feedburner account with it.

Second, there are a whole slew of missing images now because iTunes did something wonky and blew out existing covers. I’m right now in the process of trying to get iTunes to accept my updated cover (the 1400 x 1400) but it’s taking a helluva long time for them to replace it. In the meantime, I’m one of those that “lost” their original cover when they did the upgrade.

Third, I’m a little confused about something – you seem to say that the individual show cover has something to do with the overall cover used on your itunes page and in the search. Actually, it doesn’t. Each of my shows has an entirely different cover while there is a standard cover for the itunes page. The standard cover doesn’t change with each new podcast because it’s not linked to each podcast.

When you posted your jpg info in Feedburner, you told iTunes where to find the image for your main page and the search page. By changing the ID3 tags on the show itself, all you did was install the cover to be viewed on your iPod or iPad… not the iTunes page or search.

At least… unless Apple totally screwed up iTunes and didn’t bother telling anyone.

7. Claudia says:

Have you heard anything about album art NOT appearing in the podcast app on the iPhone 4? My album covers do not appear with each associated episode of “Storynory”. They used to appear before I updated my iPhone 4.

• Joey K. says:

No I haven’t. But I will look into it to see what’s going on. I remember it happened to me like 3 weeks ago. When I got home and when to fix it, the artwork was showing again so I paid no mind to it.

I think it’s probably on iTunes end. But will look into it and let you know.

8. traci says:

Thank you. From the bottom of my heart, thank you. This was the most helpful thing I have read yet regarding Podcast Artwork.