I know I’ve put this post off for quite a bit, I’m sorry but things just happen.
I really didn’t want to just slap something up either. I wanted to really sit down, focus, and write something epic. Something that will stand the test of time.
In today’s post, we’ll take an insiders look at where some of the money is made here on the IP blog.
Ever since this blog started making money back in January, people have been asking how, where, and why the money is made consistently every single month.
Well hopefully today I can answer some of those questions.
So with that said, lets get rolling ;-)
Where is the $$$ Made From?
I’ll focus on my May IPM Reports since it’s the most recent one, and I’ll also focus on the top 2 earners which is Bluehost and SafeSwaps affiliate links.
Lets start with bluehost. Now this one has been my most consistent money maker in the last 3-4 months.
In May I just referred 13 people to BlueHost, that’s it! That may not seem like much, but that made just over $800 in commissions.
Now can you imagine if I could only refer 20 people per month? That’s like $1,300 a month. When you think about it, it’s only 5 people per week.
Lets break it down.
How Am I Selling?
Well the answer to that is, I’m not selling. I recommend.
See this is where people get it twisted. Nearly 100% of the money earned here on the IP blog comes by recommendation.
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again…
Recommending Makes More Money Than Selling“
People HATE to be sold to. They hate to have sales pitches shoved down their throats.
When I tell people about a certain product or service, I talk to them about it, I show them how it works and how they can use it.
I don’t just flat out and say, “Hey, buy this shit!”. That doesn’t work anymore. The days of hard selling are long gone.
Now I’m not saying I haven’t done it before. What I’m saying is that through out the years, what’s worked the best for me is “Recommendations”. Which is why I adapted the Recommendations model here on the IP blog.
Why Do People Buy?
The biggest reason why I believe people buy stuff from me is because I show them exactly what they’re getting. I don’t B.S. them at all.
I give them a quick tutorial on how it’s used, installed, or anything that show cases the product or service. Then they’ll make a decision on whether to get it or not.
It’s ultimately their choice. Only they can decide if it’s for them or not. All I can do is show them the in’s and out’s of the product or service.
And I do this for most of the affiliate products I recommend. This is why Bluehost is one that earns the most without ever hard selling.
Here’s a few perfect examples of posts and videos I’ve published that shows people how I’m using Bluehost.
- How to Install WordPress Blog on Bluehost: This is a super quick tutorial video that I did showing you how to install a wordpress blog on bluehost.
- 21 Day Challenge – Setting Up Your Blog: This was a Reader Challenge I did for the IP blog readers where they had 21 days to complete the challenge. In this video I show them how to set up their blog with bluehost.
- How to Use The FREE Landing Page Generator: This is a Landing Page Generator I created and gave away free. I show people how to use the app and then show them how to upload the files to their bluehost.
- Getting Started Page: This page is brand new. I just created it so no sales came in from this page, yet. I have it on my old JKDC blog and it works so well there so I brought it here. This is for people who are new to the IP blog and can have a reference of where to start. Here I go through some of the first steps to take and I even show them my how to install WP to Bluehost video.
- The Greatest Experiment Ever Webinar Replay: In this webinar I don’t mention anything about bluehost or any hosting, but I do recommend it below the video.
- My Resources Page: This page here is really not teaching people how to use bluehost. What this page does is show people the actual products and services that I’m currently using or have used in the passed. It’s like word of mouth marketing and nothing is better than word of mouth. Here I only list the products I highly recommend.
- IPM Reports: Over the last few months, I’ve gotten a few referrals from the IPM Reports. Again, here I’m not teaching people how to use or install bluehost, but rather I show people how much I made with bluehost.
Notice how I showed how to do different things with “BlueHost”, and 2 of those posts used the same video. Only difference is that I just wrote about 2 totally different topics.
You don’t have to keep creating the same video over and over again. You can actually write about many different things and use the same video.
Here’s a video on this thing I like to call, the A.V.C. Method, (Affiliated Video Commissions). This video covers the recommendation model I talk about above.
I recorded this video a while back. It was sometime in 2010 and this is just to show you that I practice what I preach. This is a method that I used way back then, and still use today.
This video has only ever been seen by my private members over at the MMI Program, (Monthly Marketing Info).
Which Post or Pages Did The Commissions Come From?
This is for May 2012 and it’s for BlueHost only:
- How to Use The FREE Landing Page Generator – 6 referrals: This is a great post cause it really takes people by the hand and shows them exactly what to do. You create a squeeze page, thank you page, then upload it to bluehost.
- My Resources Page – 2 referrals: This page usually gets the most referrals, but in May the free LPG post kicked ass ;-)
- 21 Day Challenge – Setting Up Your Blog – 2 referrals: When I first created this series, this was the highest earner. But since it’s a bit old and with all the content published, it doesn’t get near as much exposure.
- IPM Reports – 3 referrals: As I mentioned before, the last few months I been getting referrals from the IPM reports. Not really sure why, but my guess would be that people click on the links, like what they see and buy. Two referrals came from May’s reports and one came from April’s reports.
You know the sweet part about this is that all these referrals came on their own. I did no hard selling what so ever. In fact, people have emailed me personally to tell me that they wanted to create a site and got bluehost from my affiliate link as a way of saying thanks.
Now that’s awesome ;-)
The fact that what I do here with the Income Press blog is being appreciated by people and is actually helping people is more rewarding than any referral or commissions made.
And for that reason I will continue to provide as much massive value as I can.
Now that we got bluehost out of the way, lets take a look at my other big earner, SafeSwaps.
A True Passive Income Earner
SafeSwaps is the most passive income earner I have. I mean I literally just give this ebook report away. No hard selling what so ever.
This report is just a 22 page tutorial on how I made a few quick bucks in a week. Nothing fancy, nothing techie about it. A simple tutorial.
Throughout the report I mention certain tools, products and services I use. And one of them being safeswaps. (btw, SS is just a place where you can build a list)
Here’s a snap shot of page 17 of the report where I talk about SS and what I did with it.
Notice the word “Safe-Swaps.com” is blue? Well that’s a hyperlink to my SS affiliate link.
The only place I actively promote safeswaps is in this report. I do have affiliate links here on the blog, but no commissions were made from here in May.
I do count it as Income Press blog earnings because this is my lead gen for this blog. So commissions earned from this ebook would count.
What’s The Point I’m Trying To Make?
The point I’m trying to make here is that you don’t have to do any hard selling to make any kind of money.
Just be cool, straight forward, and upfront about what it is you’re doing. Let people know that you’re an affiliate, let them know that you will get a commission, it’s ok…
If people are bothered by your transparency and honesty, then you don’t need their business.
There’s plenty of good people out in the world for you to be stressing over some grumpy old negative idiot.
And There You have It!
I finally published this post. It’s been a long time coming, but I think it was well worth the wait.
I hope you enjoyed this inside scoop into where my affiliate links make money. I only focused on just 2 of them today, but all of my affiliate commissions are made using the same Recommendations model.
There’s one main goal for this IP blog and that’s to heavily provide massive value. To help as many people as I can. Even if it’s just to help them by showing them how to install the Digg Digg pluging, at least I would have done something positive.
Whatta ya think?
Would love to see what your thoughts are on this whole recommending thing. I know a lot of us still get sold hard to. Especially with email marketing. Just would like to know if any of you have tried this model, if it worked, or if it didn’t, or even if you’re thinking about adapting to this model. Let me know…
peace and I love ya for free ;-)